Smurfit Kappa Peterborough have a unique opportunity for a Structural Designer to work with our multi-award-winning design team in our successful sheet plant based in Whittlesey.
Smurfit Kappa Group plc are Europe's leading corrugated packaging company and one of the leading paper-based packaging companies in the world. An industry leader with 46,000 employees globally, 350 production sites around the world, with locations in 23 countries in Europe and 13 countries in the Americas.
People are at the heart of the organisation and we are constantly working towards creating a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences, and welcome applications from all sections of our communities.
Smurfit Kappa Corrugated UK are;
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
Who are Smurfit Kappa Peterborough?
The office is based in Whittlesey near Peterborough and has been at the forefront of design and development working with key manufacturing customers within Automotive, Medical, Electronic, Green Energy and many others.
Using the latest C.A.D software we design and develop solutions with corrugated material from ‘E’ flute to ‘Triple wall’ and we often include foams, Hexacomb and timber as part of our bespoke design solution
We are looking for someone who wants to be part of our dynamic and innovative team working along side our customers to develop the perfect packaging solution. Full training will be given by our existing senior designer to help develop your skills for our industry
Areas of Responsibility
- Product specifications and C.A.D drawings ready for Production and costings
- Deliver innovative design solutions in terms of structural design
- Produce and ship prototype samples for customer approval
- Assist with customer workshops and presentations
Key Duties (not limited to)
- Independently create, develop and present packaging solutions
- Understand the overall objectives of our client and make prototypes, 3D visuals and specifications
- Generate new ideas for the business and translate them into design solutions
- Understand our wide range of production and assembly manufacturing facilities
- Support sales and visit customers to demonstrate and relationship build whilst showcasing new design solutions
- Present to internal and external clients when required
- Develop relationships with external packaging component suppliers and work with them to reach the final design solution
- Develop graphics on 3D design presentations
- Cut and make design samples ready for clients
- Pack and wrap samples ready for dispatch and meet customer deadlines
To be considered for the role you will ideally need to have structural design experience ideally in the packaging sector.
- Computer literate with knowledge of CAD software, Illustrator & Microsoft office applications.
- Self-motivated with an eye for problem-solving and attention to detail.
- The ability to follow a design brief and adapt as necessary.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced fluid environment and work to deadlines.
- Great communication skills.
- Ability to think outside the box and push the barriers of design
- Attention to detail is vital
- Quick to learn and develop and keen to understand our manufacturing processes.
- Able to build a rapport with key personnel, customers and shop floor personnel.
- Ability to resolve difficult situations
- Ability to see tasks and projects through to their final outcomes and provide conclusions on the results
- Competitive salary
- 33 total days holiday per year including bank holidays
- Personal development
If you fit the bill and want to join the team as a Structural Designer, please click the 'apply now' button and complete the online application process.
Type Full time
Closing Date for Applications