Atlas Packaging, Barnstaple, North Devon
Full - Permanent
Do you want to work for a company who...
- cares for its employees & customers in equal measure?
- is serious about sustainability & the environmental impact of its products & processes?
- can provide a long-term future & personal development for those who aspire?
If yes, then read on to find out more about the job on offer at Smurfit Kappa
You can also find out more about Smurfit Kappa by visiting:
- Website: smurfitkappa.com/uk
- Youtube channel: Smurfit Kappa Group
- Linkedin: Smurfit Kappa Group
Our client is situated in Barstaple in the heart of North Devon, with its award-winning beaches, and breathtaking countryside currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Financial Controller. Responsible for providing key financial analytical reporting and help drive the sites performance.
They are a UK cardboard box company making a wide range of corrugated cardboard packaging solutions. They pride themselves on delivery in competitive prices, clear quotations and excellent service. To do this Theye have an in-house award winning structural and graphic design team and a state of the art production facility.
They've been the sustainable choice for cardboard packaging for 40 years. They have achieved ISO 14001:2015 accreditation which demonstrates their commitment to the environment and they're business associate members of their regional plastic free organisation as well as the UN recognised North Devon Biosphere.
Key job requirements
- Undertake business analysis and advise the local management on business mix, cost structure and capital base. Initiate and manage projects to improve business control and profitability, prioritising such projects based on business impact.
- To ensure that Atlas Packaging adheres to all compliance requirements of Smurfit Kappa.
- Evaluate new suppliers/products/services which enable improvements within the business, or which increase the value of our offer to customers.
- Support Line Managers in reducing the costs within their control.
- Manage costing systems and ensure that effective business controls are in place to ensure costs are controlled and profit maximised.
- Lead the annual budget and quarterly forecast processes, including presentations to the UK ExCom.
- Use benchmarking information to ensure improvement opportunities within administration and production are identified and acted upon.
- Manage the site relationship with the Shared Service Centre and act as local contact for input and judgements relating the company’s financial results before they are released to senior management.
- Manage issues relating to auditors and legal advisers.
- Vet all major capital proposals before they are submitted for board approval.
- Direct the IT department to ensure that internal systems work accurately and efficiently.
- Ensure debt control is managed and cash flow maximised.
- Support health and safety initiatives and ensure all HFM Health and Safety reporting is accurate.
- IT compliance and control.
Key Competencies and Characteristics
- Recruit, train, on-board, coach, counsel and manage employees.
- Full people management responsibilities for direct reports including people development and employee relations.
- Communicate job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions.
- Ensure a two-way communication to ensure that all operating policies and/or issues are highlighted to all direct reports.
- Liaise with other relevant departments as necessary to ensure continuous efficiency and performance.
- Collaborative mindset and excellent people management skills including communication, training, and leadership ability skills with the ability to align, empower and inspire others.
- Experience of working at Senior Management level.
- People Management skills and experience.
- Manufacturing accounts experience.
- Strong IT skills, working knowledge of Accounting, Microsoft and MRP packages.
- Confident, strong minded and interactive.
- Good command of English language.
- SAP knowledge would also be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge and experience of management accounting in a large organisation.
- Awareness and understanding of business and pricing mechanisms and the effect of decision making within the business.
- Firm, fair and able to manage day to day issues.
- Problem solving both internally and externally.
- Confident and diplomatic with customers, suppliers, and team members.
- Assertive and persuasive while remaining approachable.
- Management of department and team with compliance to SK policies and procedures, and best practice.
- Organisational skills.
- Ability to manage work to deadlines and manage this within the team, minimising conflict.
- Ability to analyse and explain variances to expected outcomes.
- High degree of accuracy required.
- Ability to plan long term and provide solutions to new and existing problems.
- Ability to think outside the box when analysing problems.
- Resolving queries to a successful outcome.
- Consistent and reliable performer.
- Ability to manage and resolve difficult situations.
- Willingness to learn and develop skills to fulfil maximum potential.
- Continually looking at ways of improving business performance.
- Ability to see tasks and projects through to their final outcomes and provide conclusions on the results.
The role reports to the site General Manager with a dotted line to the CFO and plays a fundamental role to collaborating and advising the company's leadership team.
What's on offer...
- 25 days annual leave (plus 8 statutory) as standard
- Contributory pension scheme (plus ad hoc access to independent financial advice)
- Training & development
- Free on site parking
- Employee Assistance - 24/7 free & confidential support to both you and your family
- Access to on site mental health and wellbeing support
- Regular health assessments (role dependent)
- Cycle to work scheme
Who are we?
We are a market-leading manufacturer of sustainable paper-based packaging. We care deeply about the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, the communities in which we operate, and the service provided to our customers.
We have an incredibly loyal and capable workforce who we invest time in developing and encourage to reach their full potential; and you too could become a valued member of our ‘family’.
We strive to create a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and succeed. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences and welcome applications from all communities.
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.