Interim Financial Controller
There is an opportunity for an Interim Financial Controller at Smurfit Kappa Chelmsford. The role will be a fixed term 12 month contract to cover maternity absence.
The purpose of the role is to provide professional financial control & reporting for the Chelmsford site, adhering to statutory & company standards, ensuring there is full understanding of the financial targets & results throughout management while providing all requested information to group in a timely and accurate manner. To continuously improve business methods and provide excellent analysis that can be the basis for strategic decisions.
The main duties of the role will include:
- Undertaking business analysis and advising the local management on business mix, cost structure and capital base. Initiate and manage projects to improve business control and profitability, prioritising such projects based on business impact.
- Evaluate new suppliers/products/services which enable improvements within the business or which increase the value of our offer to customers.
- Manage Costing Systems and ensure that effective business controls are in place to ensure costs are controlled and profit maximised.
- Use benchmarking information to ensure improvement opportunities within administration and production are identified and acted upon.
- Manage the site relationship with the Shared Service Centre and act as local contact for input and judgements relating to the company’s financial results before they are released to senior management.
- Manage issues relating to auditors and legal advisers.
- Vet all major capital proposals before they are submitted for board approval.
- Direct and develop the IT department to ensure that internal systems work accurately and efficiently.
- Ensure debt control is managed and cash flow maximised.
- Prepare all major capital proposals for the GM, using Company guidelines & vet all capital proposals before they are submitted to the group.
- Act as an adviser to the management team on all financial issues.
Systems and Programmes utilised:
- Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office products
- BI Executive Viewer
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required:
- Strong knowledge of both financial and management accounts required
- Intermediate/Advanced MS Office skills, particularly Excel and Word
- Possess an understanding of Payroll and HMRC requirements
- Accounting degree (or equivalent) or CIMA/ACCA qualification achieved
- High standard of communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good administrative and organisational skills in order to comply with all Smurfit Kappa and external regulations and best practice methods
- Adherence to numerous deadlines and the ability to prioritise
- Awareness and understanding of business and pricing mechanisms and the effect of decision making within the business
- Manage a department with best practices and in adherence to group and local policies