Business Development Manager - Whitehaven, Cumbria
The Smurfit Kappa Group plc are Europe's leading corrugated packaging company and one of the leading paper-based packaging companies in the world. An industry leader with 46,000 employees globally, 350 production sites around the world, with locations in 23 countries in Europe and 13 countries in the Americas.
People are at the heart of the organisation and we are constantly working towards creating a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences, and welcome applications from all sections of our communities.
Smurfit Kappa Corrugated UK are;
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Development Manager to join our Smurfit Kappa Composite tube business based in Whitehaven, Cumbria. The role will be national so the location of this role is flexible. This is an opportunity for a proactive and driven individual to focus on developing new business opportunities and managing some existing sales accounts.
- To identify and develop new business opportunities on behalf of the Smurfit Kappa Composites business.
- To achieve ambitious growth targets in existing and new markets
- To deliver customer service excellence and delight our customers, old and new.
- To help ensure that the company trades at the most profitable levels possible through employing Value Selling techniques
- Responsible for mining new opportunities in existing and new markets
- Identifying market trends and quantifying demand for potential new products, to inform potential investment opportunities.
- To maintain database records
- To introduce other Smurfit Kappa sites and products established SK Composite customers
- To develop multi-level contacts in all appropriate disciplines and co-ordinate these contacts.
- To ensure that the business remains informed of any key issue affecting the well being of the business, such as overall competitiveness, competitor activity, competitor product (alternative packaging products.)
- To understand the customer’s operating environment in depth (e.g. their products, marketplace, customers, suppliers etc.) To ensure the business is informed about these issues as they may relate to the company.
- To ensure all Customers pay to agreed terms.
- To represent the company at the highest level within the customer’s organisation, maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards at all times.
- Responsible for forecasting and agreeing annual sales budget, including profitability.
- Able to communicate information to and from the customer concisely and effectively.
- Must ensure that the CRM database is maintained and up to date
To be successful for this field role, candidates will ideally meet all or most of the following requirements:
- Confident and articulate individual who demonstrates personal drive and focus, sound commercial acumen and excellent customer relationship skills
- Proven track record in generating new business opportunities and converting them to sustainable sales accounts.
- Experience of selling to premium brands in a range of market sectors.
- Significant experience of new product development.
- Naturally analytical and inquisitive to identify market trends and new sales opportunities
- Knowledge of the wider packaging industry would be useful as well as B2B field sales experience.
- A full driving licence will be required and an ability to travel daily (with an occasional overnight stay if required).
In return, our client offers
- a competitive annual salary based on experience
- company car
- bonus scheme
- Laptop and mobile
- 33 totals days annual leave a year
- workplace pension
- Excellent training and development skills
Business Development Managers are crucial to the success of the business. This is an opportunity to join a successful team that is locally focused whilst supported by a global leader in paper-based packaging.
The closing date for this role is 26th March 2023.
Please apply via the company's dedicated recruitment portal.
For internal applicants it is essential that you ensure that your line manager is aware of your desire to be considered for this role.
Type Full time
Closing Date for Applications
Smurfit Kappa Composites