Engineering Manager - Whitehaven
Smurfit Kappa Composites are a leading producer of cardboard packaging tubes based in Whitehaven, Cumbria.
As a result of sustained business growth, confirmed investment plans and an imminent retirement, we are looking to increase the number and skills of our on-site engineering team.
With our sustained growth and future investment, we are looking for engineering colleagues to join our existing team and be an integral part of delivering future success. We have several roles available including an Engineering Manager.
Working days, the Engineering Manager is responsible for leading the transition from the retiring engineering manager and deliver the growth in the on-site engineering team.
The role will be a varied one and will suit a leader who is also happy to be hands on. The successful candidate will manage, improve and drive forward all engineering related aspects of the Whitehaven business. In particular, they will:
- Ensure robust procedures are in place and adhered to enforce the company, and statutory authority policies in the factory environment - ensuring the business remains compliant with all statutory obligations at all times.
- To demonstrate and promote a ‘safety first’ approach to engineering solutions.
- To provide statistical measurement and maintenance performance information as well as playing a key role in achieving the overall business objectives as a member of the site leadership team.
- Set clear objectives and strategies for reportees and support them towards their individual and collective targets.
- Maintain excellent factory and inter departmental relationships and ensure that maintenance targets are met and costs controlled within budget.
- Provide an on time service of acceptable quality standard as determined by customer and business demands
- Set an example to other employees in terms of high personnel practices and ethics.
- Clear, demonstrable commitment to health and safety
- Significant previous engineering experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ideally a certified electrical engineer with appropriate qualifications or at very least experience of managing electrical compliance of a manufacturing site.
- A desire to be both hands on and a leader at the same time.
- Demonstrates empathy and patience when appropriate
- Can manage budgets within cost parameters
- Has key understanding of manufacturing needs in relation to efficiencies, quality and budgets
- Needs to be an effective and positive communicator
- Must be able to understand and drive change
- Proven record in developing engineering individuals and teams
- Must have good analytical skills
- Must be a decision maker
- Must be an effective “self starter”
This role is a critical one for the site and offers the opportunity to join a succesful business which has strong growth plans and significant future investment. In exchange, the salary for this role is up to £55k alongside Company Pension, 25 days' annual leave plus Bank Holidays. The business strongly supports professional development with opportunities for training both externally and through its Engineering Academy.
If you would like to join the SK Composites team, please follow the link below, click the Apply Now button and follow the on-line application process.
Closing date: 31st May 2023
Salary £55,000 per annum
Type Full time
Closing Date for Applications
Richmond Works Hensingham