Continuous Improvements Project Engineer
The Smurfit Kappa Group plc are Europe's leading corrugated packaging company and one of the leading paper-based packaging companies in the world. An industry leader with 46,000 employees globally, 350 production sites around the world, with locations in 23 countries in Europe and 13 countries in the Americas.
People are at the heart of the organisation and we are constantly working towards creating a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences, and welcome applications from all sections of our communities.
Smurfit Kappa Corrugated UK are;
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
We are currently recruiting for an Engineering Continuous Improvements Project Engineer at our Northampton Site.
The engineering CI project engineer is accountable to the Engineering Manager for all matters of compliance and therefore ensuring that all Smurfit Kappa services for plant, equipment and the overall site is kept in a safe and operational condition with minimum downtime. To co-ordinate both day to day activities and project activities and ensure they are carried out by Smurfit Kappa staff or contractors. Evaluate and recommend training for their longer term development. To analyse and gather data to provide evidence to support capital projects and further investment if required. Complete capital project proposals and submit to the Engineering Manager and Operations Director and manage any major capital investment projects with the identified team.
Main Duties and responsibilities
- Provide support to the PM mechanical teams where necessary whilst ensuring, main duties and responsibilities are not compromised.
- Support Engineering Manager / Operations Director through assisting with planning of major projects and keeping up with training / compliance
- Be available wherever possible for out of hours call outs
- Advise the business on the current status (serviceability or unserviceability) of Smurfit Kappa’s status of machines and systems and services.
- Lead fault and hazard analysis tasks using proven techniques (5 why’s / 8D) to establish root cause in order to determine/recommend resolution – seek advice from OEM’s / Smurfit Kappa personnel as appropriate.
- Identify and find solutions to operational issues caused by machine limitations
- Ensure compliance with all H&S, Environmental and quality procedures ensuring that any anomalies are reported through the Engineering Manager immediately.
- Implementation of purchase requisitions in line with Smurfit Kappa’s scheduled maintenance and projects; ensuring that budgetary constraints are not compromised and impact on cash-flow is minimised.
- Support Engineering Manager with identifying training and development requirements of existing or new machinery.
- Strive to ensure all engineering department KPI’s are met at all times.
- Excellent communication skills with peers and management.
- Organisation skills including prioritising & Planning
- Problem solving and risk identification
- Good numeracy skills
- Confidence in using Microsoft applications (i.e. Excel, Outlook) & SAP
- Must be able to engage and influence the engineering and production teams effectively and efficiently to deliver on key tasks.
- Good knowledge of SAP applications
- Good machine knowledge and application
- Six Sigma qualification
- Project management
- Practical and Knowledgeable in mechanical and electrical PLC maintenance engineering
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings
- Target driven
- Willingness to learn
- Interpersonal skills
- Teamwork focused
- Inquisitive and analytical
- Adaptable and flexible
£48,000/00 to £52,000.00 dependant on experience.
The role will be established on a full time, permanent basis.