The Smurfit Kappa Group plc are Europe's leading corrugated packaging company and one of the leading paper-based packaging companies in the world. An industry leader with 46,000 employees globally, 350 production sites around the world, with locations in 23 countries in Europe and 13 countries in the Americas.
People are at the heart of the organisation and we are constantly working towards creating a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences, and welcome applications from all sections of our communities.
Smurfit Kappa Corrugated UK are;
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager to join the team within our Northampton Business. You will be the go to person for all Design related matters at SK Northampton. You will work in conjunction with the Sales Director and Key Account Managers to develop and deliver cost effective, sustainable, resource efficient and innovative design solutions. You will lead and manage the Design Team and Department to ensure all deadlines are met and enquiries are completed in a timely manner.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities include:
- Design and develop corrugated packaging solutions using CAD software and Kongsberg sampling facilities, both independently and alongside other team members.
- Generate accurate CAD drawings following set parameters and tolerances, including for the use of setting artwork and the manufacture of die-cutting formes.
- Utilise internal software applications to establish most suitable solution for the customer.
- Work closely to support the sales team in winning new business.
- Lead and manage the Design Department to ensure optimal resource utilisation
- Ensure accurate records are kept in particular drawings and enquiry forms, the quality of our outputs is key to business success
- Maintain performance packaging process and update systems with plant board grades (training & support will be provided)
- Coordinate the contribution toward the Smurfit Kappa Innotools suite (Innobook, Shelf Viewer, Better Planet Packaging) and also design related competitions / design sprints
- Manage the sample room and maintenance of the sample table
- Maintain TMS for the Sales and Design Team
- Promote and support the company’s Health and Safety requirements and our Safety for Life culture
Knowledge, experience & characteristics desired:
- Structural design experience within a corrugated or packaging environment.
- Knowledge and experience of CAD software (Kasemake, Arden Impact or ArtiosCAD) is essential as well as literacy, numeracy and other applications such as Adobe and MS Office.
- Good understanding of sales, operations, commercial and technical processes
- Understanding of full product life-cycle from initial concept and design through to production and despatch
- Technical and systematic approach to problem-solving with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to challenge existing designs and solutions for the benefit of Smurfit Kappa and the Customer
- Experience of effectively managing relationships at all levels, internally and externally
- Leadership, managerial and supervisory skills and experience
- Commercial awareness and confidence to manage customer projects
- Good financial background and understanding of key business drivers
- Good knowledge of the different customer sectors
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm
- Evidence of demonstrating a proactive ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent time management and personal organisation skills with a flexible approach
- Proven track record in taking ownership and for consistently delivering results
Salary £35,000 to £45,000 per annum
Type Full time
Closing Date for Applications