Full Time / Permanent
Do you want to work for a company who...
- cares for its employees & customers in equal measure?
- is serious about sustainability & the environmental impact of its products & processes?
- can provide a long-term future & personal development for those who aspire?
If yes, then read on to find out more about the job on offer at Smurfit Kappa
You can also find out more about Smurfit Kappa by visiting:
Youtube channel: Smurfit Kappa Group
Linkedin: Smurfit Kappa Group
Reporting to the Operations Director, the main purpose of this role is to provide Health, Safety and Environmental advice and guidance to the site to ensure compliance with the health and safety law as required by Regulation 7 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations1999: ISO14001: Group H& S Policies and local H & S Policies and procedures.
Key job requirements
The successful candidate will be energetic, enthusiastic and success driven and must, confidently, engage with all levels of the shop floor and management, promoting and championing a zero harm workplace. This will require strong communication skills and the ability to train and coach all colleagues.
The main duties of the role will include:-
- Promote a culture of safety first through effective engagement strategy with all colleagues.
- Create a coherent site Safety Deployment plan.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Group H&S Policy, recommending changes and additions where necessary, and the provision of advice to employees.
- Monitor performance against Environmental Accreditation guidelines and legal requirements.
- Assist departmental/line managers in the investigation of accidents/ incidents at sites where they have responsibility or as directed by the UK HSE Manager.
- Ensure the provision of accident/ incident / minor accident and near miss statistics on a weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis as directed.
- Ensure that accident investigation is carried out by the appropriate departmental/line manager with a view to preventing similar occurrences in the future.
- Stop any plant, machinery or activity where there is a danger to a person or persons or damage to premises or equipment is foreseeable.
- Ensure that the Company's obligations in respect of risk assessment, SSOW, control and monitoring of hazardous substances, workplace, work equipment, manual-handling operations, personal protective equipment and display screen equipment are being strictly adhered to.
- Establish procedures to be followed in case of emergency evacuation i.e. Fire, Gas or other emergency at the plant. Liaise with enforcing authorities and any appointed consultants.
- Carry out training in all aspects of Safety that the UK Safety Manager deems is capable of being undertaken by the post holder, liaise with Managers and external trainers on the quality and content of the training to be provided.
- Carry out periodic safety inspections and safety audits to identify unsafe plant, working conditions and practices. To report to the management team on the findings of such inspections and make recommendations for remedying any defects found.
- Keep abreast of changing legislation pertinent to the corrugating industry and associated areas.
Communication – Planning
- Promote Company HS&E initiatives and promote a positive culture
- Provide competent HS&E advice and information upon request
- Liaise with safety representatives and enforcement authorities as required
- Arrange and attend monthly safety meetings with senior management and union representatives
What we are looking for in a person:-
- Excellent organisation and lean administration skills
- Good communication skills, written and verbal
- Problem solving and root-cause, corrective action planning capability
- Demonstrable ability to work alone, yet be able to successfully influence other areas of the business in order to achieve key objectives.
- Hold NEBOSH Certificate
- Exposure and experience to Environmental requirements and management
- Ensure up to date knowledge of best practice within the HSE arena
What's on offer...
- 25 days annual leave (plus 8 statutory) as standard
- Contributory pension scheme (plus ad hoc access to independent financial advice)
- Training & development
- Free on site parking
- Employee Assistance - 24/7 free & confidential support to both you and your family
- Access to on site mental health and wellbeing support
- Regular health assessments (role dependent)
- Cycle to work scheme
Who are we?
We are a market-leading manufacturer of sustainable paper-based packaging. We care deeply about the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, the communities in which we operate, and the service provided to our customers.
We have an incredibly loyal and capable workforce who we invest time in developing and encourage to reach their full potential; and you too could become a valued member of our ‘family’.
We strive to create a fully inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds are free to be themselves and succeed. We value different perspectives, skills and experiences and welcome applications from all communities.
- A Disability Confident Employer and guarantee an interview to candidates who meet our essential criteria.
- Open to considering flexible working, such as part-time hours, hybrid working and other flexible options.
- Happy to offer a wide range of Family Friendly policies including emergency time off for dependants and to provide generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave provisions for our valued colleagues.
To find out more about the hiring organisation please search for 'Better Planet Packaging Europe'.