Despatch Team Leader - Windrush
Smurfit Kappa are one of the UK’s largest producers of corrugated packaging for the trade. We have a vision of becoming an indispensable partner to our customers delivered through operational excellence and a highly engaged workforce. The Operations team are currently recruiting a Despatch Team Leader at our Windrush site.
This is a working supervisor position where approximately 50% of the working week will be spent on loading/unloading vehicles and managing the movement of vehicles in line with Company Health and Safety and operational standards. The remaining 50% will be allocated to leadership and management duties including supervising despatch team members, organising and planning their work.
Other key elements of the role involve:
- To drive a culture of health and safety within the Plant by acting as a role model and provide health and safety instruction to arriving drivers and other visitors.
- Oversee the activity/movement of all drivers (LGV and Forklift Truck) during their time onsite to ensure they adhere to site H&S rules.
- Organise the work of a team of Forklift Drivers, allocating specific vehicles to load/unload.
- Manning the Despatch office as required signing in visiting tradespeople and contractors and accepting general incoming deliveries.
- Advising drivers of allocated loading bay and acting as banksman in line with safety procedures.
- Update computerised Company planning system as loads are completed - recording relevant vehicle details and any issues.
- Liaising with haulier partner to call down vehicles, additional pallets and raw materials to support production activities.
- Liaising with Operations Team and providing details of stock held, loads complete and any developing issues.
Applicants should also understand how the business operates from sales through to despatch and have experience of managing to operational standards. Strong people management, organisational and communication skills (face to face, telephone and email) are key to success in the role as is an ability to use IT systems.
The role will be established on a full time, permanent basis. Applicants must be willing to work reasonable amounts of overtime in line with business needs and be flexible on shift length and pattern.
Applicants should click on the Apply Now button on the right and follow the on-line application process
The closing date for this vacancy is 17th February 2020.
Please note, internal applicants should advise their line manager prior to making an application.