Smurfit Kappa are one of the UK's largest producers of corrugated packaging for the trade. We have a vision of becoming an indispensable partner to our customers delivered through operational excellence and a highly engaged workforce.
With around 46,000 employees across 35 countries, our client is one of the leading producers of paper-based packaging in the world, and a publicly listed company in both Dublin and London. Its mission is to deliver customer satisfaction, personal development for employees, respect for the local community and environment and great shareholder value, all through its highly entrepreneurial culture.
This company is a world leader in paper based packaging and is the European leader in containerboard, solid board, corrugated and solid board packaging. The organisation strives to be a customer orientated, market led company which satisfies the personal development of its employees.
The company currently have an exciting vacancy for an experienced Operations Director to join the Leadership Team based at their Yate site.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level (e.g. Engineering, Science or Business related) and be able to demonstrate previous experience and success in managing the full operations function. Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge and experience gained within a Lean/ Continuous Improvement environment, together with a good understanding of budgetary control and management within production, services, engineering and logistics.
It is expected that the Operations Director will be a “change” agent with the personality and drive to lead the organisation through change management and culture initiatives and have demonstrable ability to support, advise, coach and provide clear objectives and communication to direct reports and colleagues within the wider business. They will also play a key role in executing the overall business strategic objectives, ensuring an effective tactical plan is in place, implemented and results focused.
Main responsibilities of the role:-
- Lead and develop functional managers to maximise performance and efficiency within corresponding departments.
- The effective planning and delivery of plant performance targets to meet current and future customer requirements in terms of quality, volumes and deadlines
- The planning and setting of maintenance and capital investment budgets for all plant, equipment, buildings, transport etc
- Effective organisation of operational activities and investments within agreed plans and budgets
- The planning and co-ordination of the usage of external providers to support plant capability
- Ensuring manpower capacities are capable of meeting plant demands
- Ensuring the site's compliance to environmental and safety at work requirements, co-ordinating with appropriate outside bodies etc where necessary
- Directing measures to continuously improve product quality
- Development and implementation of multi-skilling / cross-learning and productivity improvement activity
- The selection, direction and motivation of subordinates to promote effective team work
- Ensuring effective performance assessments and personnel development systems are in place
- Contribute to the discussion and decision making process for the growth and development of the business as a whole
- Deputise for the General Manager in his absence
Key Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an operations manager/director role within a manufacturing / technical environment
- First class interpersonal / social skills
- Good analytical skills
- Entrepreneurially minded with a sense of urgency
- A decision maker and innovative
- An effective “self starter”
- Demonstrates empathy and patience when appropriate
- Provide effective, strategic business feedback / develop business relationships.
- Have the ability to develop and deliver a vision and strategy.
- Competitive salary
- Company car
- Competitive bonus structure
- Work in an energetic, dynamic and fast-paced environment with a global organisation offering many levels for career progression
- Workplace pension
- 25 days annual leave
Applicants should click on the Apply Now button on the right and follow the on-line application process
The closing date for applications is 9th April 2021